This page is focused at first for developers but can be
an interesting read for OthBase users. XOF is the XML Othello®
game file Format used into
OthBase as the primary supported file format for games databases.
The purpose of this new format is:
To meet those objectives, only XML is currently suitable. For the first
objective, I have decided to release the XOF file format under the GNU Lesser General
Public License. Check the License page
- to be usable by everybody
- to support Othello® or any other board games
- to have an open, extensible file format instead of a closed one
- to have a file format independant from the platform or language
- to have a file format that is easily compressible
- to enable easy creation and diffusion of Othello® games
databases (flat games or moves tree)
- to have a human readable format instead of a binary one
- to help developers by defining a strict but small grammar for
parsing databases and thus using some well known parsers instead of
creating your own (try to build your Thor/SGF/PGN parser in less than
A grammar has been defined to help developers read and write XOF games
database. The following table gives the DTD for current version.
You can get some sample XOF databases here.
As the format is easily extensible, you are welcome to improve the
grammar/DTD and as it is released on LGPL license, please notify me
when you want to do it so that I can update the current DTD.
If any question about the XOF format, please contact xof